Child Holidays & Relocation

It is becoming more common for people to consider relocating outside of the UK and this can cause several problems if people have separated and one parent wants to leave the UK permanently.

Another difficult situation occurs when one parent wants to go on holiday and take their child or children with them, but the other parent doesn’t want them to go.

To stop your child or children from being taken abroad depends on what’s in their best interests and may have to be determined by a Court.

Contact us today for advice.

Both parents (if they have parental responsibility) must consent to their child being taken out of the country even if it is just for a holiday. If you take your child away and fail to obtain consent, this could be classed as child abduction. This situation should be avoided but if there is no agreement for a child to leave the jurisdiction, then a Court application will need to be made to obtain an Order granting permission to go.

The situation is usually different where there is a Child Arrangements Order. A parent with a Child Arrangements Order that provides for a child to live with them, may be able to take a child abroad without the written consent of the other parent. This all depends on the wording of the Order and you should seek legal advice to confirm if this is the case.

Relocating Outside the UK

A parent needs the permission of the other parent or a Court Order to take a child or children permanently abroad.

In some cases, it is appropriate to oppose the relocation application but in others, it may be wise to consider seeking legal representation to ensure good future contact before the relocation proceeds. Even if there are well thought out plans, with good reasons given to the Court for relocation, the child’s wishes may be taken into consideration. To make sure you have the best chance of getting your desired outcome, speak to us today for advice.

When considering opposing relocation applications, it is vital to consider all aspects of a child’s life. The Court will consider many grounds and you should seek legal advice to know which ones are the most relevant in your case. Consideration will also be given by the Court as to what more could one parent offer the child if they continued to reside in this jurisdiction. There are so many grounds

What can I do if I think my ex is removing my child without permission?

There are some steps that can be taken straight away, but we’ll need to assess each case on the situation. It is advisable to instruct a Solicitor to help you with child relocation and holiday decisions from the outset. This is so the process is completed correctly, quickly and with the correct reference to the law.

There are many issues that have to be considered as far in advance as possible. Legal advice from a Solicitor, preferably who has experience in such matters, should be taken so that due thought may be given to all the possibilities that may arise and precautionary measures put in place.

Contact us today to discuss your situation and find out how we can help with holiday & relocation decisions.

Glaser Jones Law – Services

Divorce process ICON

We are here to support and advise you on the issues that arise during the dissolution of a marriage.

More Information

Get and Jewish divorce ICON

We understand how the divorce process works for those of the Jewish faith, and are uniquely placed to help you satisfy both Halachic and civil processes.

More Information

Maintenance ICON

Often, divorce or separation requires maintenance to be paid. We can help arrange a fair agreement for when the divorce has been finalised.

More Information

Child maintenance ICON

Otherwise known as ‘child support’, we can help ensure that your child receives the financial assistance they’re entitled to regardless of parental disputes.

More Information

Child arrangements ICON

Your children are your top priority. We enable your child’s views to be aired during the divorce process and help shield them from many of the more distressing aspects of the process.

More Information

Cohabitation ICON

We can advise you on your rights when separating from a partner with whom you cohabit but aren’t married, assisting you with any mediation that may be necessary.

More Information

Prenuptial agreements ICON

We can help you allocate ownership of your assets before your marriage as a safeguard for the future.

More Information

Division of assets ICON

We will help you to come to a fair and agreeable arrangement on asset division, supporting you throughout the entire process.

More Information

Child arrangements ICON

To stop your child or children from being taken abroad depends on what’s in their best interests and may have to be determined by a Court.

Contact us today for advice.

More Information

For immediate availability

Contact us today for a preliminary discussion about your circumstances, or book in for an initial consultation and take your first step towards a stress-free tomorrow.

You can contact us by telephone or email, or send us a message using the form

  • Telephone: 020 7993 7173
  • Mobile: 07875 337350
  • Address: Pavilion, 96 Kensington High Street London W8 4SG

Contact Us

Your enquiry will be treated with the utmost discretion and there is no obligation on your part.